Thursday 5 January 2012

Time, Time, Time

Time flies. Kept meaning to get to blog more often but had many things on my mind.

It took me some time to work my way around the my.csu website.

 After not studying for over 15 years distance education is different. Last time most of the major outlines were sent to me. I had a study guide that explained amongst other things all the referencing, quotes and so on.  Each subject had its own booklet. Tapes of lectures were also sent, then had to be returned.

I was aiming to commence study in February. Fate had a hand in all this. How was I supposed to know that the date for enrolment for session one was the same as late enrolment for session 3? I sent the enrolment in one week and a week later was notified that I had been accepted, as a late entry into session 3. The course was to start in 1 week.

I was thrown into this whirlwind world. I kept navigating throughout the site. It took me quite a while, and I am still finding out new things, to ensure that my knowledge of what was expected was accessed. There were  subject outlines, modules, EASTS, student services, assessments, forums, sub-forums, podcasts, webinars and so on.

I did not know how forums worked properly. (My last distance education course had no such thing.) I did not understand at first what the '+' and '-' signs meant or what was the meaning of the blue numbers after the subject heading . ( I though that it meant that it was the number of people that had read my comment.

I thought that my questions were being ignored. I was starting to get frustrated. the course was getting on. The school year was coming to a close and I thought there was little support. I couldn't have been more wrong. 

Once I worked out the meaning of the different symbols and meanings I realised that the answers had been there all along. The staff and other students were most supportive.
There was just so many places that had to be accessed to find relevant information.

It would have been good to have an introductory booklet on hand. Writing assignments has changed over the years and it is assumed that students have a great knowledge of uni websites. Each uni is different in the way it sets things out. Under each subject it might be good to have an introduction section that explains each area briefly.

On the other hand it was a quick way to become more fully aware of the technological world we live in. How time flies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment